Dr. Joe Emenheiser
(860) 774-9600 - Windham County Extension Office
(860) 486-1016 - George White Office
Extension Office: 139 Wolf Den Rd, Brooklyn CT, 06234
Storrs Campus Office: George White Building, Room 101
- Ph.D. (Animal and Poultry Sciences - Pasture-Based Beef Systems Focus), Virginia Tech, 2013
- MS (Animal and Poultry Sciences - Lamb Carcass Composition Focus), Virginia Tech, 2009
Dr. Emenheiser joined UConn in Fall 2020 as an Extension Educator / Instructor in a joint position between Extension (75%) and Animal Science (25%). He previously served as the State Extension Livestock Specialist in Vermont, and he most recently taught Animal Science courses at the University of Vermont and the Vermont Technical College.
|ANSC 3273/SAAS 273||Livestock Management|
|ANSC 3674/SAAS 274||Livestock & Carcass Evaluation|
- Using ultrasound in genetic improvement of body composition
- Growth and development of carcass traits
- Selection and mating systems
- Livestock enterprise economics and farm viability
- Meat supply chain development
In the News
- Meet new faculty member Joe Emenheiser- UConn Today, December, 2020
Recent Publications (Selected)
Emenheiser, J. C., R. G. Tait, Jr., S. D. Shackelford, L. A. Kuehn, T. L. Wheeler, D. R. Notter and R. M. Lewis. 2014. Use of ultrasound scanning and body condition score to evaluate composition traits in mature beef cows. J. Anim. Sci. 92:3868-3877.
Emenheiser, J. C., B. F. Tracy, A. E. Tanner, D. Fiske, W. S. Swecker, Jr., W. M. Clapham and R. M. Lewis. 2013. Days of rest impacts forage mass and quality in a rotational stocking system. J. Anim. Sci. 91(E-Suppl. 2):664.
Emenheiser, J. C., S. P. Greiner, R. M. Lewis, and D. R. Notter. 2010. Longitudinal changes in ultrasonic measurements of body composition during growth in Suffolk ram lambs and evaluation of alternative adjustment strategies for ultrasonic scan data. J. Anim Sci. 88:1341-1348.
Emenheiser, J. C.,S. P. Greiner, R. M. Lewis, and D. R. Notter. 2010. Validation of live animal ultrasound measurements of body composition in market lambs. J. Anim Sci. 88:2932-2939.
Hobbies/ Non-Academic Interests
- Purebred Suffolk sheep flock